Monday, November 7, 2011

Do Overs!

(Do overs, part deux!) I wrote this on Saturday from my iPad but ran into problems when trying to post it.

So I wrote a blog post the other night (Wednesday). Spent an hour and a half on it actually. Then when I went to preview it, it was lost. POOF!

It was the first time I tried posting from my iPad. So I'm going to try it again. This time I'll be sure to copy the post before I try to publish it, just in case.

So, the iPad. Scoob got me an iPad as a thank you for doing most of the work on the house. I wasn't expecting, but I didn't turn him down. :)

We're sort of settling in. But we have had a few major obstacles. There were a couple of safety issues with how the steam shower was installed, and we're working on getting those corrected  We're going on 3 weeks and we still don't have a working dishwasher. Well, a repairman came out on Wednesday and got it running, but when I walked into the kitch about 20 minutes later I found my hardwood kitchen floor covered in water. The repairman is coming back out on Monday. Not sure what to do about the floor though. I hunk we cleaned it all up quickly but a few of the boards are swelling and buckling.

The other major item is the hardwood floors. Apart from the recent water damage, there are several areas on the floor that weren't sanded smooth before they were sealed and there are a lot of rough knots. I didn't expect the knots to be totally smooth, but I also didn't expect to cut my foot (not a huge gash mind you, but more than a papercut) and I didn't expect to shred 3 pairs of socks. in addition to that there are a few spots where paint and mud were inadvertently sealed onto the floor.

The hardwood guy was out on Thursday and said he would need to sand the rough areas and the places with the paint and mud. Then he would need to reveal the entire floor with 3 coats of polyurethane, or whatever it is they use. We'll have to essentially move out for this to happen.  We've been talking with the builders about this and I'm not sure how it is all going to play out.

I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is and we'll do what we need to to get it fixed. I will say I much more calm about it today than I was on Thursday, so maybe it's a good thing that post got lost. The hardwood guy threw me for a loop when I showed him some stains in the upstairs hallway where something was clearly spilled on the raw boards before the sealant was applied and he replied, "Well, can't you just live with it?". Ooooookay. Well, yes. Yes, I could just live with it if there weren't all these other issues with the floors and if we hadn't spent what we did to build the house.

I was just really taken aback by his attitude. Everyone else hat has been out to the house to correct or fix items has been very agreeable and seemed to take pride in their work. Not this guy. It was clear when he walked in the door that he wasn't really listening and thought I was crazy for pointing out the things I was pointing out.

Anyhow, I'm not as peeved as I was earlier in the week. It's an incontinence and certainly not what we were planning on after moving in, but I try to stay focused on the big picture and not get caught up in the irritating details.

No comments:

Post a Comment