Friday, November 11, 2011

Dishwasher Drama

Oh dear. I feel like we've been playing How Many Ways Can a Dishwasher Break since we moved in. We've been here 3 weeks and we're still waiting for a working dishwasher.

When I first tried running a load of dishes 3 weeks ago I could not get water into the unit. Then I remembered the water line had been shutoff on the clothes washer, so I checked on the dishwasher. Sure enough.

Okay, now with the water valve open I still couldn't get water to the unit, so the vendor I purchased the dishwasher from called a repair company and they said they would be here in 5 days. Okay. The night before the appointment they call and say they don't service Pittsboro. You think they might have mentioned that when taking the appointment. So then the vendor found an alternate repair company.

That repair man got here last Wednesday and found a loose electrical connection in the dishwasher and voila! We had water! About 20 to 30 minutes after the repairman left, I walked into the kitchen to start dinner and discovered my kitchen floor (kitchen hardwood floor, I might ad) was covered in water. Oh yeah, we had water now.

The repairman made it back to the house on Monday, pulled the machine from under the counter and found that the drain pipe had not been connected to the drain line. Huh? How do you miss that? Apparently, whoever installed the unit mistook the condensation hose for a drain hose and hooked that up to the drain line instead. We also discovered just how much water had been dumped/leaked.








Scary stuff.

So I had the repairman leave the dishwasher exactly as he found it because the builder and the plumber who installed the unit were coming by in the morning and I wanted them to see it. The tradesman who finished the hardwood floors came with them. They all assured us that once the water dried out there would be no long-term damage and the floorboards, where they've begun to warp and buckle, would return to normal. Huh, really?

I decided to verify that through a 3rd party and whaadaya know, that's right. Apparently, when it comes to mold, it's the slow leaks over time that you have to worry about, not the gushers that get taken care of right away. Well, at least that's one less thing to worry about.

So anyhow, they switch the drain line and hook it up to the drain pipe and start the dishwasher. We're all standing around chatting when Scoob notices that a couple of the guys are now standing in a puddle of water. What the heck? And no one can figure out where it is coming from. So I call the repairman out. Again.

He made it out the same day, Tuesday, and found that the drain line was perforated and was spraying jets of water. You have got to be kidding me, right? But no. No one was messing with me. The repairman taped up the holes and tested the machine again, because with the track record so far, he's thinking he'd better cover all the bases. No more leaks. Thank god.

So he ordered a new drain hose and I'm still waiting for a dishwasher. He's supposed to be by this evening with the part, but in the meantime, it's day 25 without a dishwasher.

1 comment:

  1. Dude! What a nightmare - hope you guys get to quit dealing with "Please fix this" soon!

    ReplyDelete