Sunday, April 12, 2009

Scatterbrained

Happy Easter, all. I hope you're having a lovely holiday spent with family, friends, and those closest to you. For us, that means Scoob and I are hanging out with Tank and Dozer; pretty much like we do every day. But today it involved eggs.


For the first time ever, I tried my hand at making deviled eggs and I think they turned out pretty well considering I didn't use a recipe (though Mom did talk me through the process last Monday over the phone). I'm roasting chicken (again) for dinner tonight. In other excitement, we had a hawk land on our patio balcony this morning. Quite stunning; but it was gone by the time I had my camera out.

My web surfing today has taken me all over the place. No rhyme or reason or even a unifying theme, but I found most of it interesting nonetheless, which is noteworthy in and of itself because I've come across so little in the past few weeks that I felt compelled to share.

My first "awwwww" moment was when I caught sight of the First Family's new dog Bo. I haven't exactly been on Pooch Patrol waiting for news of the dog, but I do watch the White House Blogroom. I thought it curious that Bo is a purebred when the Obamas clearly stated they wanted to find a rescue dog, and I'm sure some folks will be up in arms over this.

But after reading a more detailed article here, it turns out that Bo wasn't a good fit with his previous family, and the Obamas are giving him a new home. When you get right down to it, finding homes for unwanted animals is what a lot of shelters try to do. The Obamas will still be making a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.

So getting into political news with a little more bite, or not, I read that the Indiana State Senate passed a resolution declaring “sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.” Uh-huh.

And someone thought it a good use of legislative time and taxpayer dollars to restate what is already quite clearly spelled out in the constitution? Aside from the fact that this resolution ever made it to vote, the fact that 3 Indiana Senators voted against it is interesting. I don't quite know what to make of that. Did they vote against it because it was an absurd resolution to begin with, or do they really not agree with what's being stated?

It's nearly impossible to talk about politics these days with out also discussing the economy, which in some ways is a good thing. I was amused, though, by this article about Sesame Street laying off the letters Q, X, Z, J, and the semicolon. There are other articles out there along the same vein, but apparently layoffs at Sesame Street are a real thing. The adult side of me understands completely, and even though I was more of an Electric Company fan (sowing the seeds of a life-long admiration for Morgan Freeman), the child in me is terribly upset.

The other day I posted about Mythbusters and sometimes wishing I had studied more science. Today I found this comic about the differences between TV science and real science. (Mythbusters' Jamie and Adam have a frame.)

Lastly, this was funny, and more than a little true, and I need to remember it more often.

With that, I'm off to read more Sor Juana on the elliptical machine and then go hang out some more with my peeps. I'll leave you with the results of this year's peeps diorama contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment