Thursday, April 30, 2009

H1N1 on the Brain

So the H1N1 Swine Flu is just about all anyone can talk about these days, even at work. Working for a travel publisher and hearing that European countries are urging people not visit Mexico and the United States is kind of a big thing for us, beyond the whole "Oh my god, I just coughed, ack, I've got the piggy flu" thing. On the one hand, it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one nervous about this thing. On the other hand, everyone worrying about it sort of feeds the fire.

In the last day or so we've had 3 confirmed cases crop up in the Bay Area and at least 2 schools have closed down in San Jose. This Google/Flu mash up has been interesting to watch as new cases are confirmed.

Although serious, Newsweek has 5 reasons why we shouldn't panic about the Swine Flu. Speaking of panicking, hospitals close to the confirmed cases in the Bay Area are having to set up tents outside as triage units to handle the huge influx of what they're calling the Worried Well—otherwise healthy individuals at very low risk for infection nonetheless fearing they're infected and clogging up the ER.

Though if cases continue being confirmed close to home, I may have to get me one of these, or something similar. Maybe sans mustache.

Then again, someone will probably take me for a bank robber or something else and y'all might have to bail me out of jail.

Completely unrelated to swine, this video made me laugh. I remember watching Adam West as Batman growing up. Syndicated. At least I think it was syndicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment