Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Strawberry Crostata

What's more rustic than a tart and super easy to make? Crostata!

I ran across this recipe for Strawberry Crostata on the Buns in My Oven blog and just knew I had to try it. I almost always have refrigerated pie crusts on hand for throwing together empanadas and pot pies and the like, and aside from the berries, everything else is pretty much a staple item as well.

So I made this for the first time a couple weeks ago, but I didn't quite fold the crust edge over far enough (do overs!); it looked sloppy but smelled oh so good while it was cooking and cooling, and tasted even better!

As far as desserts go, this one doesn't seem bad, but the second time around I substituted a reduced-fat cream cheese and used some Splenda in the cream cheese mixture, though I stuck with actual sugar for sprinkling on the berries.

So easy! And so Yum! Yum! Yum!

(And yes, I'm blogging at you instead of drafting my cover letters. I know, I know!)


Strawberry Crostata just screams Summer!

Strawberry Crostata

Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30–35 minutes

Ingredients
    1½ pounds strawberries
    2 Tbsps sugar, for sprinkling
    8 ounces reduced- or low-fat cream cheese, softened
    2 Tbsps flour
    3 packets of Splenda
    1 Tbsp vanilla
    1 pie crust

Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400°. Wash, hull, and slice strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar and set aside.

  2. Mix together the cream cheese, flour, Splenda, and vanilla.

  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pie crust in the center. If using a store bought crust, I like to roll it out just a tad more. (I've come to the conclusion that I own the squeakiest rolling pin on the planet!)

  4. Leaving a one-inch border, spread the cream cheese mixture on the crust, mound the strawberries on top, and fold up the crust edges.

  5. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Divine! (Scoob likes his with a dollop of vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt and blueberries on top!)


Ready to go into the oven.


You'll almost surely end up with a puddle of juice in your pan.
My first try with this recipe was much juicier.


Strawberry (Crostata) fields forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment