Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Buckeyes

I hope y' all had a great Easter. Easter apparently means surprises, and I got a doozey when I rolled over into a "gift" from Madame Barf-O-Matic in bed. So my Easter started with stripping the bed, lots of laundry, and a shower. Never mind that my hair was still wet from last night's shower.

But the day got better. I made up a big Sunday breakfast for Scoob and I and there was lots of cuddling on of the sofa with a very repentant Dozer. And as long as I was doing laundry I decided to vacuum, and scrub the toilets and shower. I even got some time to work on the jigsaw puzzle I've been ignoring for a few weeks.

Scoob said something about wanting Easter eggs for Easter, but I just couldn't bring myself to color up a bunch of eggs. Well, that and he told me this the day before Easter! Because I always keep a pack of Paas dye handy. Don't you? Actually, I think it was all part of his plan to avoid mowing the lawn again. It's getting awfully tall—approaching mid-shin in places—with plenty of great egg hiding places.

So instead of dying Easter eggs, I decided to make Buckeyes shaped like eggs. I'd never heard of Buckeyes before this, but how can peanut butter and chocolate be bad?


What do yo think, do these resemble eggs or acorns?


Even the bluebird is confused.


Easter Buckeyes

Prep time:1–1½ hours

Ingredients
    ¾ cup ccreamy peanut butter, room temperature
    1 stick unsalted butter, softened
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    ¼ tsp kosher salt
    ½ pound bittersweet chocolate

Directions
  1. With an electric mixer, beat peanut butter and butter until creamy. On low speed, mix in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and salt (mixture will be crumbly).

  2. Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into "eggs" and place on a wax or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes

  3. Melt the chocolate. (I melt mine in the microwave on full power in 30 second bursts, stirring between bursts.) Dip each "egg" into the chocolate about halfway and return to the cold baking sheet. Refrigerate on the baking sheet for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment