Saturday, December 3, 2011

East Bound

… and down, loaded up and truckin',
we're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to and a short time to get there.
I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run.


For those unfamiliar with one of the finer movies to come of of the 1970s, that would be the theme song from Smokey and the Bandit (1977).




I've always had something of a soft spot for this movie. I dunno if it's because my dad was a truck driver, or because my dad and Burt Reynolds looked a lot alike in their younger years, or if it was this catchy little ditty by Jerry Reed. Whatever, but this song kept running through my head on the drive out here.

Oh who am I trying to kid—I was belting that baby out as loud as I could.

And when I stop to take a closer listen to the lyrics, I think I may have a better understanding of where my driving habits come from—"keep your foot hard on the pedal," "nevermind them brakes," "put that hammer down and give it hell."

Ahem.

Anywhoodle, I thought I'd finally put up some of the photos I took on the drive east.


ARIZONA


The obligatory trucker's ball cap, and yes, I wore it.
Granted it's technically a geek's ball cap since it's from
the company that made Scoob's computer, Falcon Northwest.














NEW MEXICO






Sunset on the Navajo Nation.


More Navajo sunset.




After almost 14 hours of driving, Albuquerque's urban sprawl looked so sweet.


TEXAS


I'll give you 3 guesses where we're at.


2 guesses left.


1 more.


Okay, I know it's a tough one.
We're at The Big Texan in Amarillo.


A Scooby snack. A Deee-licious Scooby snack.




OKLAHOMA










ARKANSAS






TENNESSEE


Arriving in Memphis.


Crossing the mighty Mississippi.


Not a one of us liked the hotel room in Memphis.


Arrived in TN at night, and snuck out under cover of darkness.


NORTH CAROLINA


Waiting with the truck and the cats while Scoob gets our
coffee on our first morning in NC. Only 2 hours to go!


Unfortunately we passed some of the most interesting things during the night time. I'd love to make the drive again without the cats, and without such a tight time table.

No comments:

Post a Comment