Sunday, March 1, 2009

Some Things Just Make You Feel Good

I read in the news this morning that radio personality Paul Harvey passed away last night and it just made me sad. I used to list to Mr. Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" segments during my morning commute until the station changed their format. I loved listening to these stories behind the stories, and Mr. Harvey's distinctive voice and delivery.

I flagged this article last week from the Boston Globe because it made me feel good, and now seems like a good time to share it. Just goes to show that small gestures by perfect strangers can make a difference.

News from the publishing world on the reception of Samuel Wurzelbacher's, a.k.a. Joe-the-Plumber of campaign fame, new book Joe the Plumber: Fighting for the American Dream, made me feel good too, though not in the same way. Apparently crickets could be heard in the downtown D.C. Borders. He'll probably have a warmer welcome at appearances in the mid-west.

As for me, I understood the concerns he voiced during the campaign about Obama's plans but what I didn't understand was how he so quickly discounted Obama's plans because his take home pay would decrease despite the fact that the plan could help his neighbors, community, and by extension, himself.

As we're seeing in the Wayward house, our pay is being cut (not just take home pay) and our neighbors and community won't realize any benefit from it. If we were going to have to give up income, I would gladly opt for curtain number 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment