Tuesday, January 22, 2013

India--Day 2

This morning I had to choose which car to take to the office; a coworker, my boss, and a hired car were all arranged for me. I guess they really wanted to make sure I didn't walk again today.


A room with a view.


And the busy street.


Work was good. I met with the group managers for the teams working closely with the team I am on and learned what they do as part of the process. And the comedy of errors that has been my laptop continued. I still could not log onto the main repository server I need in order to start working at full capacity, so the other team members got me logged onto the local server and have rigged up a way for me to get to what I need. Only problem is, it is just a temporary fix. Once I leave I'll have the same problem I had before.

So they created this work around only to discover I do not have Acrobat Pro on the laptop, which I need to perform the backbone on my job. I guess I had copied the training files to my desktop at home to do the work (I wanted to use the larger monitor) and I have Acrobat Pro on that machine, so I didn't discover until today that I did not have the software tool I need to do my job. But the IT department got the software installed at around 5:00, just in time to go home.

I am debating about trying to crank out some work from the hotel room. Part of me really wants to use the time to relax and sleep to make sure I shake off the rest of the jet lag, but part of me also wants to get down to work so there will be plenty of time for sightseeing later!

Since I was awake until 3:00am this morning, I spent some time browsing the guidebook I brought along, so when my boss asked me this morning what I would like to see or do, I had a list ready. I've found now that the getting here is done and I am here, I am really excited and looking forward to exploring. We talked about going to Agra on Saturday, which would be awesome! But it is almost 3 hours each way and there is a ton to see closer to Delhi, so we'll play it by ear.

Saturday is also Republic Day for India and there will be a huge military parade and celebration in the heart of the city at India Gate. But we won't be able to see the gate that day because the event is invitation only. I am hoping to go to Nizamuddin Dargah around sunset on Thursday to hear the Qawwali (Sufi devotional music), but my boss indicated the performance schedule may have changed. I would also like to see Lal Qila, the Red Fort built by Shah Jahan (who also commissioned the Taj Mahal). If we can go to Agra, I would skip Lal Qila since it is farthest away from the other Delhi sites (it takes about 30 minutes to travel 3 miles in the city) and the forts in Agra are in better condition.

We will definitely be going to the Baha'i Lotus Temple, and ISKCON Tower and a local marketplace are very close to it. My boss seemed very pleased that I wanted to visit Gurudwara Bangla Sahib. I had also suggested Kalkaji Mandir, but he said it would be very difficult to see as is very small and very popular. Instead he suggested an alternative Hindu temple that will offer more opportunity to explore.

So I have Muslim, Sikh, Baha'i, and Hindu temples on my list. I know the architecture and art will be astoundingly beautiful and I am really looking forward to it, even if we can't get to Agra.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you, and envious of you! How long are you there for in total?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here for 2 weeks; flying home 2/1. I really am hoping I get to come back again.

      Delete
  2. OK your view is not great. 3 cars makes me laugh. And YAY! that you're excited about exploring! Looking forward to your pictures. We've learned about Islam and Hindu in the past couple weeks so I can use your pictures for homescool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My coworker says the majority of households have one car for every driver. I'll try to get some good photos!

      Delete