Friday, September 11, 2009

nine eleven

Eight years ago today, in addition to our national emergency, it was also the day my previous partner was diagnosed with cancer. We'd been in the emergency room overnight and had learned, just hours before the first plane hit, that he had Chronic Myeloid Leukemia.

I was so focused on making sure he was getting care (we were running into a lot of problems because he was uninsured, but that's a separate story), learning everything I could about the disease, and being the conduit between the doctors and his family that I think it was a full 2 weeks before the enormity of the attacks really sunk in.

That day was the end of normal in so many ways, and it is one of my least favorite days of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry. I didn't realize it all happened on the same day.

    ReplyDelete