Sunday, November 9, 2008

Flailing in the Rain

It's been a quiet Sunday so far, full of dryer sheets, bleach, and detergent. Sunday is typically laundry day for me and I'm getting after it with a vengeance.

I've already put the sheets back on the bed and when I did I added a blanket. We're not quite ready to close the sliding glass door in the bedroom all the way yet, but apparently it's fall and we need the second blanket.

On the subject of fall and colder weather, we had our first real rainstorm of the season last weekend and I discovered (again) that the majority of my shoes are open toed. So we hit the shoe store.
I bought a pair of these:

And a pair of these to keep under my desk at work. Except I started wearing them last night in place of my house slippers. They definitely keep my toes warm. I may have to put these on my holiday wish list so I'll have a second pair for the house.

The shoes weren't our main reason for heading out yesterday. We wanted to go to Lowe's and get the new light fixture for the second bathroom since Sweetie is just about ready to start working there. On the way to the store I needed to run my windshield wipers. They were working fine. And then they weren't.

Let me tell you, it is scary to be driving on a 4-lane highway in the rain next to a big rig and have your wipers fail. We took the next exit and immediately called Dad. (Because Dad has always been my go to for mechanical problem.) So as I thought, Dad said check the fuse (sometimes you just need that extra nudge to let you know you're headed in the right direction).

We checked the fuse. It was fine. So then we called the dealer. My car is not under warranty any longer (5 years/60,000 miles ran out at about 3 years and 3 months), but Subaru has great customer service and will generally help you try to troubleshoot the problem. So this tech says the wiper motor probably burned out. Hmmm, but the back wipers are still working. So that doesn't sound right to me.

Anyhow, we decided that since we were already at Lowe's to go ahead and get what we came for and wait out the cloudburst then head home. On the way home, it started raining again. I tried the wipers; They didn't work. I tried the wipers again; They worked! Oooookay. Now what.

I don't want to second guess this, but I also don't want to be heading up to Mom's house in Oregon for Thanksgiving and have the wipers poop out again. 'Cause that was just no fun. So we called Dad again.

It would seem something is not making a good connection somewhere between the wiper motor and the fuse box. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined. I tend to favor the demolition side of these things. But I think I'll need to tuck my head up under the dash and take a look. Dad said he had this happen once with one of his cars. He could never find the problem and it never presented itself after the first time. That's what I'm hoping for.

1 comment:

  1. I actually broke out my hiking boots this weekend. Only for a few hours, though, then it was back to Birkies!